Cocopeat, which is made from coconut husk, is an excellent growing medium for hydroponics, soil mixes and container plant growing. The cocopeat is an absolute organic product, which is sterile and has natural rooting hormones, as well as anti-fungal properties. All of these properties make it the ideal growing medium. It also has the ability to store nutrients and release it to plants for extended periods. Its high oxygenation properties ensures plants develop healthy roots.
The use of cocopeat also guarantees the slightly acidic environment plants need for growth since it has a neutral to slightly acidic pH of 5.0-6.8.
Coco peat, also called coir, is from the husk of coconut. It is the natural fibrous material found between the hard, internal shell and the outer coat of a coconut. Each fibre cell is hollow and narrow and has thick walls, made of cellulose. The cell has a length of 1 mm (0.04 in) and diameter 10 to 20 μm (0.0004 to 0.0008 in) and the fibres can be as long as 10 to 30 cm (4 to 12 in).
Coco peat comes in two varieties, the brown and white. The brown coir comes from fully ripened coconut and has the properties of being thick, strong and hence, resistant to high abrasion. For these reasons, they are used in mats, upholstery padding, sacking and horticulture.
The white coir, on the other hand, is gotten from unripe coconuts and are light brown in colour. Though smoother and finer than the brown, they are also weaker and generally used only in brushes, strings, mats and fishing nets.
Cocopeat can be re-used once it is rinsed and strained. Some of its amazing benefits are:
- High water holding capacity
- Acceptable pH & EC
- Excellent ability to keep wet, superior to peat
- Ability to retain nutrients against leaching and to buffer supply
- Unique water holding capacity
- Good drainage / aeration
- Less shrinkage
- Retains physical properties longer
- Light weight
- No pests, weeds, or diseases
- Odorless and pleasant to handle
- Natural and renewable resource
- Uniform in composition
- 100% Organic
- Promotes strong root growth and plant vigor. Excellent for Hydroponics
- Absorbs water readily and re-wets easily, thus reducing the need for wetting agents.
- Reduces watering frequency without plant stress, thereby reducing labor costs and minimizing plant loss
- Increases shelf life of plants
- Slow breakdown of material means product will not shrink during your growing cycle
- High water holding capacity while still maintaining excellent drainage and aeration
|Dimensions||20 × 10 × 5 cm|